The Early Warning System (EWS) Middle Grades Tool enables schools and districts to identify students who may be at risk for academic failure and to monitor these students’ responses to interventions. The tool relies on student level data available at the school or district including indicators for attendance, course failures, and behavior (if available) to calculate potential risk for eventually dropping out. The intended purpose is to support students who have an increased risk of academic failure in order to get them back on track for academic success and eventual graduation.
The EWS Middle Grades Tool and supporting documents can be downloaded below.
PC: Excel 2003 or later
Please note that the EWS Middle Grades Tool may not run effectively in Excel 2013 or on Macs.
Functionality and features of the EWS Middle Grades Tool
- Customize the tool settings to reflect the local context (e.g., student demographics, number of grading periods, and kindergarten cut-off date).
- Modify the benchmarks and thresholds for indicators based on analysis of longitudinal data.
- Integrate locally validated incoming risk status indicators, such as attendance, to identify students who may need additional support.
- Identify at-risk students based on a kindergarten cut-off date that determines whether a student is two years or more over the typical age for middle grades enrollment.
- Import student-level data from existing data systems.
- Group students with a customizable cohort variable.
- House an inventory of interventions available to students.
- Assign and monitor student interventions over time.
- Produce reports including student- and school-level data summaries (both preprogrammed and custom).
Early Warning System Middle Grades Tool Technical Manual
The EWS Middle Grades Tool Technical Manual is available to help districts and schools understand and effectively use the EWS Middle Grades Tool. The Technical Manual instructs users on setting up and navigating the tool, inputting data, printing reports, and avoiding common technological pitfalls. (May 2012)
Early Warning System Middle Grades Tool Source File Collators
The EWS Middle Grades Tool Source File Collators are an ideal way to consolidate student data into a source file that can be easily imported into the EWS Middle Grades and High School Tools. These Collators are particularly helpful for schools or districts that maintain various pieces of student data in different Student Information Systems, … read more
Early Warning System Middle Grades Tool Source Files
Before they can be imported into the EWS Middle Grades Tool, these data source files need to be saved as comma-separated values (.csv) or tab delimited (.txt) files. To convert an Excel file to either format, open the file and click “Save As” under the “File” tab. In the dialog box, specify a unique name in the “File name:” field. In the “Save as type:” field, select “CSV (comma delimited)” or “Text (Tab delimited)” from the drop-down menu. In cases where the data include commas, use the tab delimited option… read more