The Early Warning System (EWS) High School Tool enables schools and districts to identify students who may be at risk of dropping out of high school and to monitor these students’ responses to interventions. The tool relies on student level data available at the school or district including indicators for attendance, course failures, GPA, credit attainment, and behavior (if available) to calculate potential risk for dropping out. The intended purpose is to support students who have an increased risk of academic failure in order to get them back on track for graduation.
The EWS High School Tool and supporting documents can be downloaded below.
PC: Excel 2003 or later
Please note that the EWS High School Tool may not run effectively in Excel 2013 or on Macs.
Enhanced functionality and features of the EWS High School Tool
- Customize the tool settings to reflect the local context (e.g., student demographics, number of grading periods, GPA scale, number of credits required for promotion to the next grade).
- Integrate locally validated incoming indicators from the prior academic year, such as attendance and GPA, to identify students who may need support as they transition into a new school year.
- Modify the benchmarks and thresholds for indicators based on analysis of longitudinal data.
- Identify at-risk students based on a locally defined behavior indicator, if available.
- Import student-level data from existing data systems.
- Group students with a customizable cohort variable.
- House an inventory of dropout prevention interventions available to students.
- Assign and monitor student interventions over time.
- Produce reports including student- and school-level data summaries (both preprogrammed and custom).
Early Warning System High School Tool Technical Manual
The Early Warning System High School Tool Technical Manual is available to help districts and schools understand and use the EWS High School Tool effectively. The Technical Manual instructs users on setting up and navigating the tool, inputting data, printing reports, and avoiding common technological pitfalls. (July 2012)
Early Warning System High School Tool Source File Collators
The EWS High School Tool Source File Collators are an ideal way to consolidate student data into a source file that can be easily imported into the EWS Middle Grades and High School Tools. These Collators are particularly helpful for schools or districts that maintain various pieces of student data in different Student Information Systems, … read more
Early Warning System High School Tool Source Files
Before they can be imported into the EWS High School Tool, these data source files need to be saved as comma-separated values (.csv) or tab delimited (.txt) files. To convert an Excel file to either format, open the file and click “Save As” under the “File” tab. In the dialog box, specify a unique name in the “File name:” field …read more